As I work on upgrading my blog in the new year, I’m starting my recipe challenge over. This recipe for fudge frosted brownies is doing double duty this week. First, as a #SundaySupper event dessert to kick off National Sunday Supper month. More about that in a minute. Second, as the first recipe in the 2016 52 Week New Recipe Challenge.
I’ve tried a number of new recipes in the last few months and look forward to sharing them with you on my new, improved site. Recipes for main dishes, sides, desserts (we love our desserts!), appetizers. In addition to improving this site, I hope to ramp up my social media presence. Look for ways to follow me in future postings.
How often does your family gather around the table for a family meal? My family is fortunate to do it every. single. night. because I make it a priority. Both my husband and I grew up with regular family dinners and we believe it’s more important than over scheduling our kids with activities. We know what’s going on at school, with grades, in their lives. We talk about current events, educate them about a variety of topics, plan vacations, talk about our ancestors and so much more. That’s not to say our kids aren’t involved, just not every night or late nights. It’s not that difficult to get around the table at least one night a week. January is National Sunday Supper Month. If you’re not familiar with the Sunday Supper Movement, you should be. You can find out more about this initiative at the end of this post through the link and sign a pledge to get your family around the table. (More about family around the table in future posts!)
The first recipe of 2016 for the 52 Week New Recipe Challenge is for dessert, hoping to kick off a sweet year. Fudge frosted brownies is a new recipe to my family adapted from Taste of Home, where I am a Volunteer Field Editor. I was looking for a recipe to make to share with a friend who was going through a rough time. After all, dessert often makes things better. These brownies fit the bill for a sweet ending to any meal.
So, as good things are happening with my blog, I wish you all a year full of good food, family, friends, health and happiness. Happy 2016!
Fudge Frosted Brownies
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2 2/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
For the brownies:
In a saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat. Stir in cocoa and cool. In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until blended. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add in egg mixture. Stir in vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture until well blended.
Spread into a greased 13 x 9 – inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 – 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes our clean. Do not overbake. Cool on a wire rack.
For the frosting:
In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the cocoa and vanilla. Add enough milk until the frosting becomes a spreading consistency. Spread on brownies in pan. Cut into squares.
Yield: about 2 dozen 2-inch squares. More if you cut them smaller.
Adapted from: Taste of Home Magazine
Appetizers and Soups
- Borscht from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls from Wallflour Girl
- Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms from Runner’s Tales
- Creamy Zucchini Soup from Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Garlic Chili Tiger Prawns from Food Lust People Love
- Honey Bacon Ranch Boneless Chicken Wings from From Gate to Plate
- Lion’s Head Meatball Soup from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- New England Seafood Chowder from Curious Cuisiniere
- Potato and Carrot Leek Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Steve’s Crab Dip from Monica’s Table
- Almond Breaded Pork Chops from Casa de Crews
- Bourbon Glazed Porkchops from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cauliflower Tetrazzini with Poblano Peppers from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken Pot Pie from Feeding Big and more
- Cranberry Mustard Pork Chop Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Fideua (Catalan Pasta Paella) from Caroline’s Cooking
- French-Inspired Macaroni and Cheese from MyGourmetConnection
- Grandma’s Fried Chicken from The Freshman Cook
- Gluten Free Buffalo Quinoa Vegetable Bowls from Fearless Dining
- Huevos Rancheros from Palatable Pastime
- Indian Spiced Roast Salmon from Soni’s Food
- Italian Style Swiss Chard and Beans with Orecchietti Pasta from Delaware Girl Eats
- Korean Spicy Braised Mackerel from kimchi MOM
- Larb Gai (Spicy Thai Chicken Salad) from Rhubarb and Honey
- Mediterranean Flatbread from Magnolia Days
- Mustard-Crusted Pork Roast from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- New York Strip Roast Dinner from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Red Wine-Mushroom Braised Beef from The Crumby Cupcake
- Rustic Portuguese Chicken Stew from Family Foodie
- Sausage & Pasta in a Quick Tomato Sauce from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Savory Ham, Cheese and Sage Waffles from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Shrimp and Asparagus Crepes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Simple, Healthy, Light and Lemony Fettuccine from MidLife Road Trip
- Simple Roast Chicken from Get the Good Stuff
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Soup from Food Done Light
- Smoked Mozzarella and Sausage Pizza from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Smothered Pork Chops from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spinach Spätzli with Sage and Speck from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Turkey Cutlets with Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ultimate Mac and Cheese from Our Good Life
- Vegan Mexican Rice and Lentils from PancakeWarriors
- Ziti with Porcini Bolognese Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Gramma Buckholt’s Yeast Rolls from The Weekend Gourmet
- Lager and Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower from Nosh My Way
- Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls from Wholistic Woman
- Winter Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bacon Buttermilk Biscuit with Chocolate Gravy from Brunch-N-Bites
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Kahlua Buttercream Frosting from Flour On My Face
- Chocolate Hazelnut Tart from Taste And See
- Death by Chocolate from Desserts Required
- Fudge Frosted Brownies from Party Food and Entertaining
- Gluten Free Tropical Banana Pineapple Coconut Muffins from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Layered Mousse Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Flourless Chocolate Cake Roll from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pistachio Macaron with Apricot Ganache from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Take the Sunday Supper Month Pledge plus Family Friendly Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Help us celebrate National Sunday Supper Month by entering the Idaho® Potato Let’s Poutine recipe contest, sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission, with prizes of $500, $200 and $100, plus a ticket for each winner to Food and Wine Conference 2016. All the rules and conditions for entry can be found on our Sunday Supper Movement website.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.